Quick baked cod with sweet potato, spinach and crème fraïche
- January 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Easy and ready in 30 minutes – this baked cod recipe comes served with sweet potato and a light, creamy spinach sauce.
- 20.5g(9.8g saturated)
- 48.7g(14.3g sugars)
- 3 sweet potatoes, cut into batons
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 onion, sliced
- 250g young leaf spinach
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 125ml crème fraîche
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 4 sustainable cod fillets, skin on
- 2 tbsp seasoned plain flour
- Chopped fresh parsley, to serve
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the sweet potato batons for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain, then return to the pan with the lid on to keep warm.
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then gently fry the onion for 5 minutes.
- Put the spinach in a colander in the sink and pour over a kettle of boiling water to wilt it, then leave to drain.
- Add the mustard, crème fraîche, lemon zest and lemon juice to the onion. Bubble for 2 minutes, then stir in the wilted spinach. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Leave on the stove with the heat turned to its lowest setting while you prepare the fish.
- Heat a large frying pan with a little oil over a high heat. Dip the cod in the seasoned flour until well coated, then add it to the pan, skin-side down. Fry for 5 minutes, then carefully turn and cook for about 3 minutes more until just opaque throughout. Serve with the sweet potato and creamed spinach, with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Salmon fillet recipes
Baked lemon salmon with buttered carrots and leeks
A simple smart seafood supper ready to be eaten in just one hour.