Quick vegetable minestrone
- June 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
A fresh, vibrant bowl of goodness that’s ready in just 20 minutes. And it contains two of your five-a-day too!
- Vegetarian recipes
- (1g saturated)
- 37.1g (13.8g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 carrots, finely sliced on the diagonal
- 120g small pasta shells
- 1.5 litres fresh vegetable stock
- 1 broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 small pointed cabbage (also called hispi or sweetheart cabbage), finely shredded
- 3 tbsp fresh green pesto (check it’s vegetarian, if need be)
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- Small bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Grated parmesan (or vegetarian alternative) to serve
- Heat a large saucepan with a glug of olive oil, add the onion and fry on a low-medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and carrots, then fry, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta and stock, then simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the broccoli florets, cabbage, pesto and lemon zest and juice, then simmer for 4-5 minutes more.
- Stir in the parsley to finish, then serve in deep bowls, topped with
a generous grating of parmesan (or vegetarian alternative) and lots of freshly milled black pepper.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Angela Hartnett’s minestrone with salsa verde
Michelin-starred chef Angela Hartnett puts her stamp on this classic Italian soup recipe – a...