Ricotta pancakes with roast grapes and pomegranate molasses
- August 2010
- Serves 6-8
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 40-45 minutes to cook
This pancake recipe is really something special and a great alternative to traditional pancakes. They can be eaten for lunch or dessert.
- 29.1g (17.4g saturated)
- 32.1g (19g sugars)
For 8 servings
- 400g red seedless grapes
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1½ tbsp demerara sugar
For the pancakes
- 150g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 25g caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs, separated
- 185ml buttermilk
- 65g melted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 375g ricotta
- 250g crème fraîche to serve
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/fan120°C/gas 1. Put the grapes in a roasting tin just large enough to hold them. Drizzle with the pomegranate molasses, then sprinkle over the sugar and roast for 15-20 minutes. The grapes should just be beginning to break down. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in their juices.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour, salt and sugar together in a large bowl. Whisk the egg yolks, buttermilk and melted butter and lightly mix into the dry ingredients.
- Carefully fold in the ricotta, taking care not to break it up too much. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then, using a metal spoon, carefully fold them into the batter a third at a time.
- Heat a little butter in a large ovenproof frying pan, then add 4 dollops (about 2 tbsp for each pancake) of the batter, spaced apart. Put the pan into the oven for 4 minutes or so, then remove and flip the pancakes. Return to the oven for an additional 4 minutes or until the pancakes are cooked through and feel firm to the touch. Set aside and keep warm while you cook the remaining pancakes.
- To serve, place 1-2 pancakes on each plate, spoon over the roast grapes and add a dollop of crème fraîche on the side.
To freeze, cool the cooked pancakes, then freeze. Defrost thoroughly, reheat and serve with the roast grapes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
July seasonal recipes
Ricotta and buttermilk pancakes with blueberry and orange butter
Breakfast, brunch or pudding – this blueberry ricotta pancake recipe never goes amiss. Whip a...