Roast chicken with buttery stuffing balls
- April 2018
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 1 hour 40-45 min
Serve up this succulent roast chicken with buttery stuffing, by Dan Doherty, for a classic and crowd pleasing Sunday dinner.
If you like the look of this, you’ll love our roast chicken recipe with beer and shallot gravy.
- 26g (13.2g saturated)
- 12.1g (1.2g sugars)
- 1.8-2kg British free-range chicken
- 120g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 lemon
- Several fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves, left whole and unpeeled
- 3 shallots, peeled and halved
- 4 x 1cm thick slices bread
- 100g British free-range sausagemeat
- Large pinch chopped fresh parsley
- 1 medium free-range egg
- Heat the oven to 230°C/210°C fan/gas 8. Put the chicken in a roasting tin and rub the butter all over it. Season well with salt and pepper and squeeze over the juice of the lemon. Put the thyme and garlic inside the chicken cavity along with the squeezed-out lemon halves, then tuck the shallots under the chicken.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes, baste with the juices, then turn the oven down to 190°C/ 170°C fan/gas 5 and roast for 60 minutes more, basting occasionally, until the chicken juices run clear when pierced in the thickest part of the thigh with a skewer (or a digital probe thermometer reads 75°C).
- Transfer the roasted chicken to a plate or board, loosely cover with foil and leave to rest while you make the stuffing.
- Pour the buttery juices from the tin into a jug and set aside with the shallots. In a food processor whizz the bread slices to chunky crumbs, then add 150ml of the reserved juices, the shallots and the garlic from the chicken cavity (squeezed from the skins). Whizz with the sausagemeat, parsley, egg and seasoning until just combined. Roll and shape into 12 x 4cm balls.
- Put the stuffing balls in the roasting tin and bake for 30 minutes. Serve with the chicken and cauliflower cheese, if making.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Brined roast chicken with a classic waldorf salad
Debbie Major’s summer roast recipe uses brined chicken – adding juiciness and flavour. Served alongside a...
Beer and shallot roast chicken
A simple roast chicken recipe with a gorgeous beer and shallot gravy, made from the...