Roast jersey royal, spring herb, hazelnut and bacon salad with lemon brown butter dressing
- April 2016
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 60 min
Toasted hazelnuts and fresh radishes add extra crunch to this salad of spring herbs, bacon and roasted jersey royals – a yummy seasonal lunch. Try it as part of an Easter spread or early-doors barbecue banquet.
Or, how about these spring herb tartlets to celebrate the season?
- Gluten-free recipes
- 32g (10.7g saturated)
- 27.8g (21.1g sugars)
For 6 servings
- 1kg jersey royals or other waxy new potatoes, scrubbed, halved if large
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g (around 9-10 rashers) British free-range streaky bacon, chopped into thirds
- 75g blanched hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 100g watercress
- Small bunch each fresh basil, mint (leaves picked) and chives (snipped in half)
- 150g radishes, quartered
For the dressing
- 75g unsalted butter
- Large splash extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Juice ½-1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Toss the potatoes in the olive oil and spread over the base of a large roasting tin so they aren’t crowded. Season well with salt and pepper, then roast for 30 minutes. Scatter the bacon over the top, then roast for another 20 minutes. Scatter over the hazelnuts and return to the oven for another 5-8 minutes. The potatoes should be shrivelled on the outside and fluffy in the centre, the bacon crisp and the hazelnuts golden. Leave in the oven, heat off, to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, put the watercress, herbs and radishes in a large bowl.
- For the dressing, heat a small, heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat, then gently melt the butter with some sea salt. Turn up the heat to bring the butter to a bubble, then cook until it turns golden brown and smells nutty. Remove from the heat, then add the oil, garlic and the juice of ½ lemon – it will sizzle. Cool slightly, then taste – add the remaining lemon juice if it needs to be sharper.
- Working quickly, tip the potato mixture into the salad bowl, then drizzle over the hot butter dressing (if you’d like a less pungent dressing, strain the butter to remove the garlic first). Toss well, taste one of the leaves and season if necessary. Serve immediately.
You could use chunks of roast chicken or fried king prawns instead of bacon.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Jersey royal new potato recipes
Buttery jersey royal potatoes with broad beans, mint and lemon
What a classic summery side dish. Jersey royal potatoes are cooked in a parcel of...
Crunchy spring salad
A fresh, light salad with extra crunch, this complements rich dishes perfectly.
Recipes to celebrate spring
Jersey royal and pancetta hash with chicory and maple hazelnuts
Here’s a different way to use Jersey royals. Bitter chicory and salty pancetta matches wonderfully...
New potato recipes
New potatoes, with their buttery texture, are delicious...
Favourite warm salad recipes
Warm salads are the perfect solution to grey...
Recipes to celebrate spring
As new shoots start to creep through, it's...
Easter lunch recipes
Whether you're serving a slap-up Easter roast dinner...