Asparagus spring salad
- June 2012
- Serves 10 as part of a buffet
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook
The rice bulks out this springtime salad, made with seasonal asparagus and broad beans, to make a filling lunch or dinner.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 4.2g (0.6g saturated)
- 36.6g (1.5g sugars)
- 450g basmati and wild rice
- 300g broad beans
- 2 bunches of asparagus
- 1 lemon, tested and juiced
- a large handful of chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- a large handful of chopped fresh mint
- a pinch of sugar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Cook the rice according to the pack instructions until tender, then drain and refresh under cold running water until cool. Drain well, then transfer to a bowl.
- Blanch the broad beans in boiling water for 1 minute, then refresh in iced water. Slip the bright green beans out of the tougher outer skins and add to the rice. Slice the asparagus into 4cm lengths and blanch in the boiling water for 1-2 minutes until tender. Drain and refresh in iced water, then add to the rice and broad beans.
- Add the zest, parsley and mint to the rice, then toss. Whisk the juice of the lemon with a little salt, black pepper and the sugar, then whisk in the extra-virgin olive oil. Pour over the rice, mix together, season to taste, then serve.
Rate & review