Roast tomato sauce
- August 2017
- Makes 1.2kg tomato sauce
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 40 min
Make this sauce when you have a bit of time spare. Then, chill or freeze until ready to use – it’s wonderful with pasta or in our baked chicken recipe.
- 4.4g (0.6g saturated)
- 11.7g (10.5g sugars)
- trace salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 150ml red wine
- 1.5kg tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- Large bunch fresh basil, torn
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Heat a large glug of oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and fry for 10 minutes on a low heat so they soften but don’t colour. Add the garlic and tomato purée and cook for a few minutes, stirring now and then. Pour in the wine, turn up the heat and bubble for 2-3 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and an extra glug of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then tumble into a small roasting dish or ovenproof baking dish. Bake for 40 minutes until the tomatoes are very soft, then taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Whizz in a food processor or blender (or in a large bowl using a stick blender) until smooth, then leave to cool.
If you prefer, cook the sauce on the hob in a large frying pan or sauté pan. If you like a chunkier sauce, add some finely chopped vegetables such as carrot, courgettes and peppers and don’t whizz the sauce (step 3).
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tomato and sweet chilli jam
Use that glut of cherry tomatoes to make this sweet yet spicy jam recipe. It...