Roasted red pepper, squid and quinoa salad
- July 2008
- 200g quinoa (from supermarkets and health food shops)
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock, hot
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1½ tbsp sherry vinegar
- 50g wild rocket
- 20g whole blanched almonds, toasted
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 mild green chilli, deseeded
- 150g pack sugar snap peas
- 450g small fresh squid, prepared and tentacles halved
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 150g jar roasted red peppers in oil, drained and roughly chopped
- Put the quinoa in a saucepan with 400ml vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and leave the quinoa to absorb the stock.
- Meanwhile, put the shallots in a mixing bowl, pour over the sherry vinegar and leave for 5 minutes.
- Whizz the rocket, almonds, whole peeled garlic, chilli and 100ml vegetable stock in a food processor, until quite smooth. Season to taste.
- Bring the remaining stock to the boil in a saucepan. Add the sugar snaps, cook for 3 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and add to the shallots. Add the squid to the stock and, as soon as the stock comes back to the boil, drain. Add the squid to the shallots, with the quinoa, rocket mixture and the yellow and roasted red peppers. Mix well, season and serve.
For vegetarians, omit the squid and cook a good handful of broccoli florets along with the sugar snaps in step 4.
Rate & review