Speedy salmon biryani
- March 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min
Biryani is a fantastic, but usually time-consuming, dish so we’ve gone ahead and made this speedy version so you can enjoy it on busy weeknights, too. Plus, this healthy dinner is dairy and gluten-free!
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 10.5g (2.7g saturated)
- 70.4g (7.9g sugars)
- 300g basmati rice
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large red onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Large thumb-size piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 tbsp mild curry paste (we used Patak’s; check it’s gluten free)
- 800ml chicken stock (gluten-free)
- 2 x 80g fillets sustainably sourced hot-smoked salmon, skin removed and flesh flaked
- 240g baby leaf spinach
- ½ small bunch fresh coriander, chopped, plus extra to serve
- Rinse the rice in a sieve under running cold water for 2-3 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan (with a lid), then fry the onions for 7-8 minutes until softening. Add the garlic, ginger and cinnamon, then fry for a minute more. Add the curry paste and fry for another minute.
- Stir the rice into the onion mixture (see tips), then pour over the stock. Bring to a simmer, turn the heat down, cover the pan with the lid, then cook the rice gently for 8 minutes. Turn off the heat, then leave to stand, still covered, for 10 minutes.
- Gently stir the salmon and spinach into the rice, then cover again and leave off the heat for a few minutes until the salmon has warmed through and the spinach has just about wilted. Season well, stir in the coriander, then remove the cinnamon stick. Serve with anextra scattering of coriander.
To save more time, swap the rice and stock for 2 x 250g pouches of microwaveable basmati rice. Stir into the onions after the curry paste (step 3) and heat until piping hot, then continue with the recipe. Use sweet chilli salmon fillets, if you prefer, for extra spice.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...