Salmon with basil, lemon and olive butter
- May 2004
- Serves 4
- Ready in 20 minutes
A simple yet scrumptious way to cook salmon steaks. Made with basil, lemon and olives, it’s a taste of the Mediterranean without the air fare.
- 29.9g (10.4g saturated)
- 1g (0.6g sugar)
- Large handful fresh basil
- 1 large lemon
- 4 pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- 50g butter, softened
- 4 salmon steaks, about 175g each
- Cooked new potatoes, to serve
- Sliced leeks, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Roughly chop the basil and put into a large bowl. Grate the zest of 1⁄2 lemon and add to the bowl with the black olives. Add the butter and beat well with a wooden spoon until mixed. Put aside.
- Put the salmon steaks into an ovenproof dish large enough to fit the salmon in a single layer. Score the zest of the remaining 1⁄2 lemon with a canelle knife. You don’t have to do this but it looks pretty. Cut 4 slices from the half of lemon you have just ‘canelled’ and place one on top of each steak. Divide the olive butter into 4 and spoon on top of each lemon slice. Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 12 minutes until just tender.
- Divide the salmon between plates and spoon over the melted butter. Season and serve with cooked new potatoes and steamed and sliced baby leeks.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tandoori salmon steaks
Enjoy Indian-style salmon in minutes with this wonderful tandoori salmon recipe that’s bursting full of...