Salmon with basil, lemon and olive butter
- May 2004
- Serves 4
- Ready in 20 minutes
A simple yet scrumptious way to cook salmon steaks. Made with basil, lemon and olives, it’s a taste of the Mediterranean without the air fare.
- 29.9g (10.4g saturated)
- 1g (0.6g sugar)
- Large handful fresh basil
- 1 large lemon
- 4 pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- 50g butter, softened
- 4 salmon steaks, about 175g each
- Cooked new potatoes, to serve
- Sliced leeks, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Roughly chop the basil and put into a large bowl. Grate the zest of 1⁄2 lemon and add to the bowl with the black olives. Add the butter and beat well with a wooden spoon until mixed. Put aside.
- Put the salmon steaks into an ovenproof dish large enough to fit the salmon in a single layer. Score the zest of the remaining 1⁄2 lemon with a canelle knife. You don’t have to do this but it looks pretty. Cut 4 slices from the half of lemon you have just ‘canelled’ and place one on top of each steak. Divide the olive butter into 4 and spoon on top of each lemon slice. Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 12 minutes until just tender.
- Divide the salmon between plates and spoon over the melted butter. Season and serve with cooked new potatoes and steamed and sliced baby leeks.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tandoori salmon steaks
Enjoy Indian-style salmon in minutes with this wonderful tandoori salmon recipe that’s bursting full of...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...