Pan-fried mackerel with pesto, beetroot and lentils
- April 2011
- 250g Merchant Gourmet Puy Lentils with Sun Dried Tomatoes & Basil
- 110g bag watercress, rocket and spinach salad
- 3½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 1 lemon
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g cooked beetroot, quartered and sliced
- 2 fresh mackerel fillets
- Cook the lentils according to the pack instructions – take care not to overcook.
- Meanwhile, put half the salad leaves into a food processor with 3 tbsp of the olive oil and the pine nuts. Season well and whizz to a rough paste, loosening with 1 tbsp water if necessary. Stir through the zest of half a lemon.
- Toss the warm lentils with half the pesto, then stir through the tomatoes, beetroot and the juice of half a lemon. Divide between 2 plates.
- Rub the mackerel with the remaining olive oil and lemon zest. Season. Heat a frying pan, fry the mackerel skin-side down for 2 minutes over a high heat, then turn over and cook for a further 1-2 minutes (depending on the thickness) until cooked through.
- Top the lentil salad with a mackerel fillet, then serve with a handful of the remaining salad leaves, a dollop of pesto and lemon wedges to squeeze over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
November seasonal recipes
Mackerel flatbreads with pickled kohlrabi and parsley potatoes
A quick and easy way of serving mackerel, on flatbreads with pickled kohlrabi and parsley...