Salted caramel loaf cake
- April 2021
- Serves 8-10
- Hands-on time 25 min, plus cooling; oven time 50 min
A couple of secret ingredients and a simple frosting transform an easy sponge cake into a heavenly salted caramel loaf cake.
Or, try adding the same rich depth of flavour to another classic cake with our easy salted caramel swiss roll recipe.
- 24.6g (15.1g saturated)
- 63.3g (48.5g sugars)
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 120g pack Whitworths Mix ’n’ Bake choc salted caramel pieces (see Tips)
- 250g salted caramel (from a jar – available from large supermarkets)
- 200g full-fat cream cheese (we used Philadelphia)
- 100g soft brown sugar
You’ll also need
- Electric mixer
- 900g loaf tin, fully lined with compostable baking paper
- Heat the oven to 160°C fan/gas 4. With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, then add the eggs, one at a time, beating in until fully incorporated. Fold in the flour with a large metal spoon, then finally fold in most of the choc salted caramel pieces.
- Spoon two thirds of the mixture into the loaf tin, then add dollops of the salted caramel sauce and ripple it through the batter. Spoon the rest of the cake batter into the tin, then smooth the top and bake for 50 minutes.
- Once the sponge is well risen and feels springy to the touch, put the tin on a wire rack to cool. After 10 minutes, remove the sponge from the tin and cool completely (see Make Ahead).
- To make the icing: use a balloon whisk or spatula to beat the cream cheese with the soft brown sugar until smooth and well combined, then spoon and swirl it evenly over the top of the cake. Decorate the top with the remaining choc salted caramel pieces.
Easy swaps: If you can’t find the Mix ’n’ Bake pack, use 120g mixed sultanas, nuts, toffee pieces and choc chips.
Wrap the sponge and freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost, then ice.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Salted caramel cheesecake with a dark chocolate base
Follow the Three Wise Men to Christmas cheesecake perfection with...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter