Sardine puttanesca with a herby crumb
- January 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, simmering time 20 min
This hearty sardine puttanesca recipe uses tinned storecupboard ingredients – it will come to the rescue whenever your fridge is looking a little empty.
Get inspired by the possibilities contained within your cupboards with our collection of storecupboard recipes.
- 14g (2.4g saturated)
- 69.1g (10.6g sugars)
- 140g tin of sardines in oil (reserve the oil)
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- A pinch of sugar
- 2 x 400g tins of cherry tomatoes, drained
- 75g pitted black olives, chopped
- 3 tbsp capers
- 250g spaghetti
- Drain the sardines, reserving the oil. Put 1 tbsp of the oil in a deep frying pan and cook the breadcrumbs until golden and crisp, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Once cool, mix in the basil.
- Add another splash of the reserved oil to the pan and cook the onion for 5-6 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, cook for a minute more, then stir in the chilli flakes, sugar and tinned cherry tomatoes.
- Rinse out each tin with 150ml water and add to the pan. Simmer for 15 minutes to thicken, then stir in the sardines, olives, capers and lots of pepper. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the pack instructions, drain and add to the sauce. Serve scattered with the herby crumbs.
Rate & review