Satay french toast with avocado
- April 2019
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 20 min
Our vegan savoury French toast, made with deep roast peanut butter and topped with avocado, is the breakfast or brunch of your dreams.
Or, how about this colourful and flavour-packed vegan fry-up to kick-start your weekend? Either would be perfect for a vegan Valentine’s Day brunch, or a Mother’s Day breakfast in bed.
- Vegan recipes
- 33.3g (10.3g saturated)
- 52.1g (3.4g sugars)
- 2 tbsp milled flaxseeds
- 200ml light coconut milk
- 3 tbsp crunchy peanut butter (we used Manilife Deep Roast from hollandandbarrett.com)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Vegetable oil to grease
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- Thinly pared zest and juice 1 lime
- Handful salad herbs (we used Growing Underground Asian micro herbs from M&S and Ocado)
- ½ red chilli, sliced (optional)
- In a blender or smoothie-maker, whizz the flaxseeds, coconut milk, peanut butter, garlic, ginger and a pinch of salt and pepper with 60ml cold water until smooth.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Lightly toast the bread on both sides. Pour the peanut satay mixture into a shallow bowl, then dip the toasted bread slices in the mixture, pressing down to coat well on both sides, as if you were making eggy bread.
- Put the coated slices on a baking sheet lined with lightly greased foil, then grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, keeping a close eye on them in case they start to burn.
- Top the toast with avocado and a squeeze of lime juice, then sprinkle over the zest, salad herbs and, if you like, chilli. Season to serve.
For extra richness, add a sprinkle of demerara sugar before grilling, then serve with a drizzle of tamari or soy sauce, thinly sliced cucumber, chopped peanuts and coriander.
Rate & review