Satay french toast with avocado
- April 2019
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 20 min
A classic brunch dish gets an update with an indulgent nutty makeover. Try our savoury french toast, made with deep roast peanut butter and topped with avocado, for a vegan breakfast of dreams.
And if you prefer the sweet version, we’ve got that too.
- Vegan recipes
- 33.3g (10.3g saturated)
- 52.1g (3.4g sugars)
- 2 tbsp milled flaxseeds
- 200ml light coconut milk
- 3 tbsp crunchy peanut butter (we used Manilife Deep Roast from hollandandbarrett.com)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Vegetable oil to grease
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- Thinly pared zest and juice 1 lime
- Handful salad herbs (we used Growing Underground Asian micro herbs from M&S and Ocado)
- ½ red chilli, sliced (optional)
- In a blender or smoothie-maker, whizz the flaxseeds, coconut milk, peanut butter, garlic, ginger and a pinch of salt and pepper with 60ml cold water until smooth.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Lightly toast the bread on both sides. Pour the peanut satay mixture into a shallow bowl, then dip the toasted bread slices in the mixture, pressing down to coat well on both sides, as if you were making eggy bread.
- Put the coated slices on a baking sheet lined with lightly greased foil, then grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, keeping a close eye on them in case they start to burn.
- Top the toast with avocado and a squeeze of lime juice, then sprinkle over the zest, salad herbs and, if you like, chilli. Season to serve.
For extra richness, add a sprinkle of demerara sugar before grilling, then serve with a drizzle of tamari or soy sauce, thinly sliced cucumber, chopped peanuts and coriander.
Rate & review