Cheesy French toasts with mushrooms
- January 2018
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 20 min
French toast doesn’t have to be sweet. Have a go at this incredibly cheesy recipe, topped with buttery fried mushrooms, for a decadent brunch dish that will not disappoint.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 46.2g (22.5g saturated)
- 19.5g (1.7g sugars)
- 45g butter
- Light olive oil for frying
- 170g pack mixed mushrooms (we used king oyster, shimeji and enoki)
- 125g button mushrooms, sliced if large
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- Large fresh rosemary sprig, separated into tiny sprigs
- 1 large free-range egg
- 2 thick white bread slices (best if slightly stale)
- 80g emmental cheese, grated
- Heat 30g of the butter and a splash of oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry all the mushrooms, seasoned with salt and pepper, over a high heat for 5-6 minutes until golden brown. Add the garlic and rosemary sprigs and cook for another minute. Set aside and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg in a shallow bowl with a splash of water and dip in each slice of bread to fully coat. Set aside on a plate. Wipe the pan clean, then heat the remaining butter and a splash more oil and cook the eggy bread for a few minutes until golden and crisp. Turn over, top with the grated emmentaland cover with the lid or a sheet of foil and cook for a few minutes longer (to help melt the cheese). Season with a little more salt and plenty of black pepper to taste, then serve the eggy, cheesy toasts topped with the mushrooms.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chorizo, mushroom and egg on toast
Bored of your standard egg on toast breakfast? Heat things up with this chorizo, mushroom...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...