Sausage soup with greens
- December 2019
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 15 min, cooking time 30 min
Once you’ve made this sausage soup once, scroll down to the bottom of the recipe to find out how to transform leftovers into a brilliant sausage bake.
For more comforting ideas, see our entire collection of sausage casserole recipes.
- 20g (5.1g saturated)
- 50.7g (6.5g sugars)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 British free-range pork sausages
- 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1½ tsp fennel seeds, crushed in a pestle and mortar
- 3 whole cloves (optional)
- 1.6 litres chicken stock
- 250g small pasta shapes (we used chifferi rigati)
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g cavolo nero, trimmed and shredded
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 60g pine nuts, lightly toasted in a dry pan
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then cook the sausages for 15 minutes, turning often, until browned all over and cooked through. Set aside on a plate.
- Tip out most of the fat in the pan, add the onions and cook for 6 minutes until just softened and lightly golden. Add the garlic and fennel seeds, stir well and cook for a further minute. Add the cloves (if using) and stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
- Slice the sausages and add to the stock along with the beans, then bring back to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add the pasta and cavolo nero, then cook for 1-2 minutes more until piping hot. Serve sprinkled with lemon zest, a squeeze of juice and a scattering of pine nuts.
Sausage bake: reheat a batch of sausage soup in an ovenproof dish at 200°C/180°C/gas 6. Instead of lemon zest and pine nuts, top with breadcrumbs mixed with chopped fresh basil or parsley, grated parmesan and a pinch of ground cinnamon. Put the dish back in the oven for 20 minutes to brown the topping.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...