Sausage soup with greens
- December 2019
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 15 min, cooking time 30 min
Once you’ve made this sausage soup once, scroll down to the bottom of the recipe to find out how to transform leftovers into a brilliant sausage bake.
For more comforting ideas, see our entire collection of sausage casserole recipes.
- 20g (5.1g saturated)
- 50.7g (6.5g sugars)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 British free-range pork sausages
- 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1½ tsp fennel seeds, crushed in a pestle and mortar
- 3 whole cloves (optional)
- 1.6 litres chicken stock
- 250g small pasta shapes (we used chifferi rigati)
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g cavolo nero, trimmed and shredded
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 60g pine nuts, lightly toasted in a dry pan
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then cook the sausages for 15 minutes, turning often, until browned all over and cooked through. Set aside on a plate.
- Tip out most of the fat in the pan, add the onions and cook for 6 minutes until just softened and lightly golden. Add the garlic and fennel seeds, stir well and cook for a further minute. Add the cloves (if using) and stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
- Slice the sausages and add to the stock along with the beans, then bring back to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add the pasta and cavolo nero, then cook for 1-2 minutes more until piping hot. Serve sprinkled with lemon zest, a squeeze of juice and a scattering of pine nuts.
Sausage bake: reheat a batch of sausage soup in an ovenproof dish at 200°C/180°C/gas 6. Instead of lemon zest and pine nuts, top with breadcrumbs mixed with chopped fresh basil or parsley, grated parmesan and a pinch of ground cinnamon. Put the dish back in the oven for 20 minutes to brown the topping.
Rate & review