Sausage and bean soup with pesto
- October 2012
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 4 Tesco Finest Pork Toulouse Style Sausages, or similar
- 400g can haricot beans, drained and rinsed
- 500ml good-quality chicken or vegetable stock
- 100g spinach
- 130g tub Tesco Finest Pesto With Fresh Basil, or similar
- 1 lemon to squeeze
- Set a deep frying pan over a medium heat and heat the oil. Add the onion and cook for 8-10 minutes until soft and translucent. Squeeze the meat out of the sausage skins and shape into about 12 bite-size balls. Turn up the heat, add the meatballs to the pan with the onion and cook until beginning to brown and crisp.
- Add the beans, stir well, then add the stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for another 10 minutes, then add the spinach and season well.
- Remove the soup from the heat, divide between bowls, then top with a good dollop of pesto, a squeeze of lemon juice and an extra drizzle of the olive oil. Serve with plenty of crusty bread.
Next time, Make the soup with a different type of sausage or replace with crispy rashers of smoked bacon
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roasted vegetable soup with walnut and sage pesto
This hearty roasted vegetable soup recipe is low in both calories and fat making it...