Sausage and bean soup with pesto
- October 2012
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 4 Tesco Finest Pork Toulouse Style Sausages, or similar
- 400g can haricot beans, drained and rinsed
- 500ml good-quality chicken or vegetable stock
- 100g spinach
- 130g tub Tesco Finest Pesto With Fresh Basil, or similar
- 1 lemon to squeeze
- Set a deep frying pan over a medium heat and heat the oil. Add the onion and cook for 8-10 minutes until soft and translucent. Squeeze the meat out of the sausage skins and shape into about 12 bite-size balls. Turn up the heat, add the meatballs to the pan with the onion and cook until beginning to brown and crisp.
- Add the beans, stir well, then add the stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for another 10 minutes, then add the spinach and season well.
- Remove the soup from the heat, divide between bowls, then top with a good dollop of pesto, a squeeze of lemon juice and an extra drizzle of the olive oil. Serve with plenty of crusty bread.
Next time, Make the soup with a different type of sausage or replace with crispy rashers of smoked bacon
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roasted vegetable soup with walnut and sage pesto
This hearty roasted vegetable soup recipe is low in both calories and fat making it...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...