Smoked gammon with swede and potato bake
- February 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 1 hour 20 minutes to cook
This hearty gammon dish makes a wonderful midweek supper, served with the garlicky, creamy root veg bake. Adding swede brings that extra colour too.
- 28.9g fat (14.7g saturated)
- 42.1g protein
- 30.5g carbs (6.7g sugars)
- 4.6g salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- ½ large swede (about 300g), peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3 large potatoes (about 400g), thinly sliced
- Large handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml chicken stock, hot
- Drizzle of double cream
- 40g grated Cheddar
- 4 smoked gammon steaks
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Heat half the oil and the butter in a frying pan and gently fry the onion for 10 minutes until soft and starting to colour. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool.
- Add the swede, potatoes, parsley and flour to the bowl, season with plenty of salt and pepper, then toss well. Transfer to a large ovenproof dish, pour over the stock and cream, stir, then top with the cheese.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until tender and bubbling. A few minutes before the end, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and fry the gammon steaks for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden. Serve with the bake, sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Although this seems like a long cooking time, it’s all done in the oven so you get on with other things while it cooks, then cook the gammon at the last minute.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Gammon steaks with creamy parsley sauce and root veg mash
This gammon recipe is a cheap eat, but it needn’t be boring thanks to the...
Grilled gammon steaks with peas, herb hollandaise and poached eggs
We’ve given gammon steaks a new lease of life by grilling them in a honey-mustard...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...