Spicy lentil and bacon soup
- March 2009
- For 4-6 people
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook, plus freezing, defrosting and reheating
A tasty, spicy and classic lentil and bacon soup recipe – it can be frozen so you’ve got an ideal lunch or light supper to hand if you don’t feel like cooking.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 22.1g (12.8g saturated)
- 44.1g (4.2g sugars)
For 6 servings
- 8 thick rashers smoked bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large leeks, cut into large chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 400g red lentils, rinsed
- 1½ litres vegetable stock
- 400g can coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- Lime wedges, fresh coriander leaves and
- 1 fresh chilli, sliced into thin strips, to serve
- Heat a large pan and cook the bacon until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Heat the oil in the pan and gently cook the leeks and garlic for a few minutes until softened. Stir in the chilli and lentils and toss together well for a few minutes.
- Pour in the stock and coconut milk and simmer for 15 minutes or until the lentils are cooked. Remove from the heat and stir in the bacon. Cool. Ladle into freezer bags or containers, and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Defrost, then reheat thoroughly – add a splash of boiling water to loosen the mixture. Serve with lime wedges, and garnish with coriander and fresh chilli.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick chicken recipes
Quick lentil, chicken, spring greens and broccoli soup
A soup recipe that’s anything but boring – this quick shortcut supper is bursting with...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...