Lentil, spinach and cumin soup
- February 2013
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 15 minutes, cooking time 45 minutes
For a filling vegetarian dinner, try this warming Middle Eastern-style soup full of lentils, spices and spinach, and topped with fried onions and pine nuts.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 14.4g (1.9g saturated)
- 23g (3.9g sugars)
- 3-4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 150g brown or green lentils
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock (we like Knorr)
- 200g spinach
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp natural yogurt
- 25g pine nuts, toasted
- Heat 3 tbsp of the olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan and add the sliced onions. Cook, covered, for 8-10 minutes until softened. Remove half the onions and set aside.
- Continue to cook the onions left in the pan for 10-15 minutes until deep brown, sweet and caramelised. Remove and set aside for the garnish.
- Return the softened onions to the pan, add the garlic, coriander, cumin seeds and lentils, then stir for 1-2 minutes until well coated in oil. Add more oil if necessary. Add the stock, bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes, uncovered, until the lentils are soft.
- Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Transfer half the soup to a blender and liquidise to make a purée. Stir this back into the soup. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and ground black pepper.
- Divide the soup equally among 4 bowls, add a spoonful of plain yogurt to each and scatter the pine nuts and fried onions over the top. Serve immediately.
To change the flavour slightly, use a Middle Eastern spice mix such as baharat mix from Bart instead of the ground coriander and cumin seeds.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy vegetarian recipes
Middle Eastern-spiced spinach and lentil soup with garlic yogurt
Make the most of seasonal spinach with this fragrant vegetarian soup recipe. For non-veggies, chicken...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...