Spinach and ricotta cannelloni
- October 2019
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 35-40 min, simmering time 20 min
A comforting, moreish meal for six that won’t break the bank, this spinach and ricotta cannelloni is a dish which ticks all the boxes.
Or, check out our spicy beef and courgette cannelloni for a meatier version.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 24g (6.2g sugars)
- 500g frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or use fresh
if you have some)
- Grated zest and juice ½ lemon
- 1 large free-range egg
- 25g parmesan or vegetarian alternative, grated
- 250g ricotta
- 150g cannelloni pasta tubes
- 400g firm cooking mozzarella, sliced (we used Galbani)
You’ll also need…
- Large piping bag with a wide nozzle; medium baking dish
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Defrost the spinach according to the pack instructions, then put in a sieve or colander and squeeze out any excess water using the back of a spoon.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic, cook for a minute or so until fragrant, then add the tomatoes, half the oregano and the lemon zest; simmer gently for 20 minutes until thickened. Add the lemon juice and season to taste.
- Beat the egg in a medium bowl, add the parmesan or vegetarian alternative, then stir in the ricotta and spinach and season. Transfer the mixture to the piping bag and use to fill the cannelloni tubes. Lay the filled tubes in the baking dish.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the cannelloni. Scatter the mozzarella over the tomato sauce, then bake for 35-40 minutes until the pasta is tender and the top is golden and bubbling. Scatter over the remaining oregano to serve.
Assemble 1-2 days ahead, cover and keep in the fridge. Bake from chilled until piping hot throughout to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...