- February 2009
- Serves 2
- Takes 5 minutes to make and about 25 minutes to cook
If you can get ready-diced squash, then this will be all the quicker. Either way, it’s a colourful way to get your veg for the day.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 350g ready-diced squash and sweet potato
- Olive oil
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 shallots, diced
- 200g risotto rice
- 600ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 heaped tbsp vegetarian Parmesan, grated
- Baby spinach leaves
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Tip the squash and sweet potato into a roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil and toss with chilli flakes and seasoning. Roast for 20 minutes, until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and a knob of butter in a large pan and gently fry the shallots for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir through the risotto rice and mix well with the shallots and butter. Gradually add hot vegetable stock, a ladleful at a time, bubbling and stirring well with each addition until all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is tender (about 20 minutes).
- Stir through a knob of butter and the Parmesan. Season, then stir through the warm roasted squash and some baby spinach leaves to wilt. Serve immediately.
You can use roasted red onion wedges and red pepper quarters instead of the squash.
Rate & review