Sticky marmalade roll
- March 2015
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 1 hour 10 min
Our sticky marmalade roll recipe is inspired by CS Lewis‘s The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in which Mrs Beaver serves the comforting dessert to the children.
Take a look at these pop cakes, inspired by The Magic Faraway Tree, too!
- 17.9g (9.1g saturated)
- 79.8g (51.5g sugars)
For 8 servings
- Butter for greasing
- 300g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 6 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 150g vegetable or beef suet
- 200ml whole milk
- 450g marmalade (we like Frank Cooper’s Oxford marmalade)
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Custard to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Grease a 45cm x 35cm sheet of baking paper and lay it on a work surface, greased-side up.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and stir in the muscovado sugar, suet and a pinch of salt. Add the milk and mix with a palette knife or metal spoon to form a firm dough.
- Tip onto a lightly floured surface, knead with your Hands for a minute or two, then roll out with a rolling pin to form a rectangle about 40cm x 30cm. Transfer to the greased baking paper, then spread thickly with the marmalade. Roll up tightly from the short end (use the baking paper to help you), and squeeze the ends a little to make it harder for the marmalade to ooze out as it cooks.
- Roll the baking paper tightly around the dough, then wrap in foil, scrunching the ends to seal.
- Put the roll on a rack in a roasting tin and pour boiling water into the tin, making sure the water doesn’t touch the foil. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer pushed into the roll comes out with no soft dough stuck to it, just marmalade. Remove the foil and baking paper, leave for 2 minutes, then slice and serve with custard and cups of tea.
Make the roll to the end of step 4, wrap it up and store in the fridge for up to 8 hours before cooking. It’s best eaten straight from the oven, but leftovers can be sliced and reheated in a microwave 1-2 days after cooking.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter