Stilton, date and walnut sausage rolls
- November 2018
- Makes 24
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 25 min, plus chilling
These cook-from-frozen stilton and walnut sausage rolls make entertaining a breeze. We love the combination of salty sausagemeat and stilton with sweet dates. Give them a go and watch them disappear in seconds.
- 11.1g (5g saturated)
- 11.2g (2.7g sugars)
- 50g walnut halves
- 500g puff pastry, chilled
- Plain flour for dusting
- 350g-400g pork sausagemeat or 6 good quality free-range pork sausages, such as cumberland, skins removed
- 150g stilton, rind removed and crumbled
- 100g (about 5) pitted medjool dates, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped flatleaf parsley
- 1 medium free-range egg, lightly beaten
- Butter for greasing
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Spread the walnuts out on a baking tray and toast for 6 minutes. Remove and leave to cool, then coarsely chop.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 40cm x 26cm rectangle, then cut in half lengthways to make two long strips.
- Put the pork sausagemeat, walnuts, stilton, dates and parsley in a mixing bowl, then mix together with your hands until well combined. Divide the mixture in half and shape each half on a sheet of cling film to make 2 long sausage shapes the same length as your pastry.
- Lay one sausage down the centre of each piece of pastry, brush 1 edge of the pastry with a little beaten egg, fold over the pastry and press the edges together to seal. Mark along the edge with the tines of a fork. Cut each strip across to make 12 rolls (see Make Ahead) or chill, spaced slightly apart, on buttered baking sheets, loosely covered with cling film, until ready to bake.
- Brush with a little more beaten egg and bake for 15-20 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.
Layer the unbaked sausage rolls in lidded freezerproof boxes, separated with pieces of non-stick baking paper, and freeze for up to 1 month. To cook from frozen, brush with lightly beaten egg and bake on lined baking trays for 25-30 minutes until golden and puffed.
Rate & review