Stuffed picnic loaf
- May 2021
- Serves 8-10
- Hands-on time 20 min
This stuffed picnic loaf looks amazing but is easy to assemble. It’s stuffed with oozy mozzarella, whipped spinach butter and juicy tomatoes. Just slice and share.
- 37.5g (3.6g sugars)
- 1 large white loaf or seeded sourdough (you can buy or make your own)
- 2 long red peppers (ramiro or romano), quartered
- 8 anchovy fillets
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- Handful baby spinach, roughly chopped, plus a few extra whole leaves
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon and a squeeze of juice
- Handful parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 balls buffalo mozzarella, sliced
- 2 large heritage tomatoes, sliced
- Handful basil leaves
- Heat the oven to 180ºC fan/gas 6. Put the loaf on a sheet of baking paper/foil and cut at 2cm intervals three quarters of the way through so the slices all remain joined together at the bottom. Set aside.
- Put the peppers, anchovies and garlic in a roasting tin, drizzle with the olive oil and roast for 25 minutes until the peppers are soft and lightly charred. Set the peppers aside and keep the tin handy.
- For the spinach butter: beat the butter with an electric mixer, then beat in the spinach, lemon zest and juice, parsley, and the anchovies and garlic from the roasting tin (reserve the oil). Beat in some black pepper and a little salt to taste
- Spread the spinach butter between the slices of bread, then add the peppers (peel first if you prefer), mozzarella, tomatoes and the spinach and basil leaves. Drizzle the oil from the tin over the top (and any extra butter, if you like), then wrap in baking paper and foil and bake for 30-35 minutes. Serve straightaway or keep wrapped to take on your picnic.
Watch the video below to see how to make the loaf:
Prepare the loaf ready for baking up to 1 day ahead, then wrap well and chill. Once baked the loaf will stay hot for a good while if you wrap it well. It also tastes great at room temperature or as leftovers from the fridge
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...