Vegan pea, herb and chickpea burgers
- August 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min,oven time 10 min, plus chilling
Think falafel meets burger and you get these Middle Eastern-inspired vegetarian patties – made with chickpeas, fresh herbs and tahini then served in warm pittas.
Looking for more vegan burger ideas? These miso and maple aubergine burgers are another great meat-free option.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 18.6g (2.6g saturated)
- 32.5g (3.8g sugars)
- 200g frozen petits pois, defrosted
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- Bunch fresh coriander
- Bunch fresh mint
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for frying
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Juice 1 lemon
- 40g fresh breadcrumbs
- 50g plain flour
- Pittas, rocket, mayonnaise or aïoli and lemon wedges
- Put all the ingredients except the breadcrumbs and flour into a food processor and whizz to a rough paste. Scrape into a mixing bowl, then stir in the breadcrumbs and 10g of the flour. Shape into 4 large patties and chill, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/ gas 6. Put the remaining flour onto a plate and dip each patty in it to coat. Heat a large glug of oil in a frying pan. When it shimmers, add the patties. Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden, then put in a roasting tin and bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve the burgers in warmed pittas with rocket, mayonnaise or aïoli and a squeeze of lemon.
Prepare the burgers up to 24 hours in advance and chill uncooked, wrapped in cling film, until ready to cook.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Halloumi and sweet potato burgers with chilli, mint and mashed avocado
Slices of halloumi and sweet potato are marinated, grilled and placed in burger buns spread...