The ultimate Swiss cheese fondue
- January 2019
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 15 min
This month we challenged cookery assistant (and seasoned skier) Olivia to perfect her recipe for the ultimate fondue. Take it from us: she’s cracked it. Meanwhile, we’ve eaten a lot of cheese in service to her pursuit of perfection. Yes, it’s time to hunker down with friends to indulge in one of the best cold-weather feasts ever invented.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 37.2g (23.6g saturated)
- 5g (1.9g sugars)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 400g grated gruyère
- 150g grated emmental
- 150g reblochon (weight with rind removed), cut into chunks – see tip
- 4 tsp cornflour (optional; see Know-how)
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- 350ml dry riesling (or other dry white wine)
- 2 tbsp kirsch
- Cured ham, cornichons and bread for dipping
You’ll also need…
- Cast iron or enamel fondue pot (see Wish List, p15, for our choice) or a large, heavy-based saucepan
- Cut one garlic clove in half and rub the cut halves over the inside of the fondue pot. Finely chop the remaining garlic clove, then add to the pan.
- Add the grated gruyère, emmental and reblochon to the pan along with
the cornflour, if using (see Know-how), and a good grating of nutmeg and black pepper. Stir everything together using a wooden spoon.
- Pour in the wine, then set the pan over a medium heat. Gently heat, stirring, taking care not to overheat the mixture. Once the cheese has melted, turn up the heat slightly and let the mixture just come to a gentle simmer. Cook for a few minutes to thicken.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the kirsch and season to taste. Transfer the pan to the centre of the table, setting it on the fondue stand or a heatproof trivet with the serving accompaniments (see below), then let everyone dive in.
Buy reblochon from cheesemongers or larger supermarkets.
Packs of ready-grated cheese contain cornflour to prevent it sticking together. If you buy these for your fondue, you’ll need to omit the cornflour in the recipe.
Rate & review
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...