The ultimate Swiss cheese fondue
- January 2019
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 15 min
This month we challenged cookery assistant (and seasoned skier) Olivia to perfect her recipe for the ultimate fondue. Take it from us: she’s cracked it. Meanwhile, we’ve eaten a lot of cheese in service to her pursuit of perfection. Yes, it’s time to hunker down with friends to indulge in one of the best cold-weather feasts ever invented.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 37.2g (23.6g saturated)
- 5g (1.9g sugars)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 400g grated gruyère
- 150g grated emmental
- 150g reblochon (weight with rind removed), cut into chunks – see tip
- 4 tsp cornflour (optional; see Know-how)
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- 350ml dry riesling (or other dry white wine)
- 2 tbsp kirsch
- Cured ham, cornichons and bread for dipping
You’ll also need…
- Cast iron or enamel fondue pot (see Wish List, p15, for our choice) or a large, heavy-based saucepan
- Cut one garlic clove in half and rub the cut halves over the inside of the fondue pot. Finely chop the remaining garlic clove, then add to the pan.
- Add the grated gruyère, emmental and reblochon to the pan along with
the cornflour, if using (see Know-how), and a good grating of nutmeg and black pepper. Stir everything together using a wooden spoon.
- Pour in the wine, then set the pan over a medium heat. Gently heat, stirring, taking care not to overheat the mixture. Once the cheese has melted, turn up the heat slightly and let the mixture just come to a gentle simmer. Cook for a few minutes to thicken.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the kirsch and season to taste. Transfer the pan to the centre of the table, setting it on the fondue stand or a heatproof trivet with the serving accompaniments (see below), then let everyone dive in.
Buy reblochon from cheesemongers or larger supermarkets.
Packs of ready-grated cheese contain cornflour to prevent it sticking together. If you buy these for your fondue, you’ll need to omit the cornflour in the recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
This moreish fondue recipe is made with three different types of cheese, garlic and beer....
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...