Crunchy tofu nuggets with blue cheese slaw
- April 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 30 min
This veggie take on a classic comfort food swaps chicken for extra-firm tofu, to replicate its meaty texture, and is served with a punchy blue cheese coleslaw.
Now, take a look at these five-spice tofu nuggets for another flavour variation.
- 36.2g (13.7g saturated)
- 43g (9.8g sugars)
- 100g soured cream
- 1½ tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 150g soft blue cheese (check it’s vegetarian if need be)
- 2 finely sliced carrots
- 3 finely sliced celery sticks
- ½ finely sliced white cabbage
- 2-3 sliced green chillies (optional)
- 70g self-raising flour
- 70g rice flour
- 1½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 large free-range egg
- 280g extra-firm tofu
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- Freshly chopped coriander or parsley and crispy fried onions, to serve
- Mix the soured cream, dijon mustard, cider vinegar, caraway seeds and soft blue cheese in a large bowl with a pinch of salt. Stir in the finely sliced carrots, celery sticks, white cabbage and green chillies (if using), then set aside.
- Mix the self-raising flour and rice flour in a shallow bowl with the garlic salt, ground white pepper and black pepper. Beat the egg in a shallow dish.
- Slice the extra-firm tofu into 8 chunky pieces. Toss with the rice flour. Dip each piece in the egg to coat, then cover in the seasoned flour, roughing up the edges a little.
- Heat 2-3cm vegetable oil in a deep, heavy-based pan until hot. Add the tofu and fry until golden and crisp. Serve with the slaw, sprinkled with freshly chopped coriander or parsley and crispy fried onions.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegan dinner recipes
Green noodle and tofu salad with ginger and tamari dressing
Change up your salad game with this Asian-inspired recipe. On the table and ready to...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...