Crunchy tofu nuggets with blue cheese slaw
- April 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 30 min
This veggie take on a classic comfort food swaps chicken for extra-firm tofu, to replicate its meaty texture, and is served with a punchy blue cheese coleslaw.
Now, take a look at these five-spice tofu nuggets for another flavour variation.
- 36.2g (13.7g saturated)
- 43g (9.8g sugars)
- 100g soured cream
- 1½ tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 150g soft blue cheese (check it’s vegetarian if need be)
- 2 finely sliced carrots
- 3 finely sliced celery sticks
- ½ finely sliced white cabbage
- 2-3 sliced green chillies (optional)
- 70g self-raising flour
- 70g rice flour
- 1½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 large free-range egg
- 280g extra-firm tofu
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- Freshly chopped coriander or parsley and crispy fried onions, to serve
- Mix the soured cream, dijon mustard, cider vinegar, caraway seeds and soft blue cheese in a large bowl with a pinch of salt. Stir in the finely sliced carrots, celery sticks, white cabbage and green chillies (if using), then set aside.
- Mix the self-raising flour and rice flour in a shallow bowl with the garlic salt, ground white pepper and black pepper. Beat the egg in a shallow dish.
- Slice the extra-firm tofu into 8 chunky pieces. Toss with the rice flour. Dip each piece in the egg to coat, then cover in the seasoned flour, roughing up the edges a little.
- Heat 2-3cm vegetable oil in a deep, heavy-based pan until hot. Add the tofu and fry until golden and crisp. Serve with the slaw, sprinkled with freshly chopped coriander or parsley and crispy fried onions.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegan dinner recipes
Green noodle and tofu salad with ginger and tamari dressing
Change up your salad game with this Asian-inspired recipe. On the table and ready to...