Tuscan bean soup
- November 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 min to make, 40-45 min to cook
This hearty vegetarian soup recipe makes enough for two batches. Save some and freeze ahead for next time.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 10.1g (2.3g saturated)
- 25.4g (8.4g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 4 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 3 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 litres good quality vegetable stock, hot
- 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 x 400g tins flageolet beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small savoy cabbage, thick stem removed, finely sliced
- Belazu Traditional Genovese Pesto and crusty bread to serve
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and butter, then add the onions and celery. Sauté gently for 5 minutes until softening, then add the carrots, garlic, herbs and paprika. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes more until the carrots begin to soften.
- Add the tomatoes and stock, bring to a simmer, then add the beans and cabbage. Simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Pour half into freezer bags, cool, then seal and freeze for up to 6 months. Defrost in the microwave, or put the frozen soup in the pan and reheat. Spoon the other half into 4 bowls, then serve with a dollop of pesto and crusty bread.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Broad bean recipes
Crushed pea and broad bean soup with cheese crisps
Our creamy broad bean soup would make a gorgeous summer starter served with the cheesy comté...