Tuscan bean soup
- November 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 min to make, 40-45 min to cook
This hearty vegetarian soup recipe makes enough for two batches. Save some and freeze ahead for next time.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 10.1g (2.3g saturated)
- 25.4g (8.4g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 4 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 3 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 litres good quality vegetable stock, hot
- 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 x 400g tins flageolet beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small savoy cabbage, thick stem removed, finely sliced
- Pesto and crusty bread to serve
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and butter, then add the onions and celery. Sauté gently for 5 minutes until softening, then add the carrots, garlic, herbs and paprika. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes more until the carrots begin to soften.
- Add the tomatoes and stock, bring to a simmer, then add the beans and cabbage. Simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Pour half into freezer bags, cool, then seal and freeze for up to 6 months. Defrost in the microwave, or put the frozen soup in the pan and reheat. Spoon the other half into 4 bowls, then serve with a dollop of pesto and crusty bread.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Broad bean recipes
Crushed pea and broad bean soup with cheese crisps
Our creamy broad bean soup would make a gorgeous summer starter served with the cheesy comté...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...