Vegetarian Christmas roast
- December 2005
- Serves 6
- Takes 1½ hours to make, 50 minutes to 1 hour in the oven
Always fancied making a nut roast for Christmas? Your time and recipe has come. This vegetarian nut roast is easy to make, and you can freeze it, too.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 18.5g (8.5g saturated)
- 19.2g (4.7g sugar)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 green pepper, very finely chopped
- 1 leek, very finely chopped
- 1 carrot, very finely chopped
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, very finely chopped
- 300g field mushrooms, very finely diced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 200g vegetarian Cheddar, grated
- 110g dried breadcrumbs
- If you are making veggie gravy, keep all the trimmings from the vegetables. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the pepper, leek, carrot, onion and celery and cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes; if they produce lots of juices, cook them out. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Fold in the egg, 150g of the cheese and 100g of the breadcrumbs. Mix well and season. Transfer to a greased, base lined 28.5cm x 13cm x 6cm deep loaf tin. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until set and the top is golden. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out, slice and serve with gravy.
To freeze: Bake the roast and cool in the tin. Turn out, wrap in foil and freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in the oven at 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5 for 45 minutes, until piping hot throughout.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Vegetarian Christmas dinner recipes
Explore the season's fabulous winter ingredients such as...
Vegetarian Christmas starter recipes
Christmas dinner for vegetarians will be wonderful with...
Vegetarian casserole recipes
Make dinner meat-free tonight and put one of...
Vegetarian Christmas canapé recipes
Serve up these vegetarian Christmas canapé recipes to...