Halloumi and pistachio nut roast
- December 2017
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 45 min, oven time 1 hour
Hosting a vegetarian Christmas? This epic halloumi and pistachio nut roast is packed full of flavour and a healthy helping of wow-factor.
Check out our popular maple-glazed parsnip, chestnut and feta loaf for a veggie main that everyone will want a slice of.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 24.9g (9.8g saturated)
- 38.6g (13.3g sugars)
- 50g butter, plus extra to grease
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 banana shallots, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 125g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 175g cooked basmati rice
- 120g fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 50g hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 50g pistachios, finely chopped
- 125g halloumi cheese, grated
- 2 medium free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- Handful chopped fresh dill, plus extra to serve
- Handful chopped fresh parsley, plus extra to serve
- Handful chopped fresh mint, plus extra to serve
- Finely grated zest ½ lemon
- Finely grated zest ½ orange
- 50g dried berries and cherries
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses, plus extra to drizzle
- Pomegranate seeds to serve
You’ll also need…
- 900g loaf tin, greased with butter
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Melt the butter in a frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion, shallots, carrots and garlic, then fry gently for 5 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 5-10 minutes until softened.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes, then transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and stir in all the remaining ingredients, apart from the pomegranate seeds, until well combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and use the back of a spoon to pack it down and smooth the top.
- Bake for 1 hour or until well browned and the nut roast feels firm to the touch. You may need to cover with a piece of foil or baking paper if it browns too quickly. Serve drizzled with the extra pomegranate molasses and scattered with the extra herbs and the pomegranate seeds, alongside the usual Christmas vegetables.
Make up to 24 hours ahead, cover and chill. Bake as in the recipe (step 3). The cooked nut roast will keep for a few days in the fridge. Reheat or serve cold as part of a spread.
Look out for mixed packs of dried berries and cherries in the supermarket, or use dried sour cherries or sultanas.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast chicken recipes
Roast stuffed chicken with mustard fruits and green sauce
A main-event showstopper, follow this recipe for a roast stuffed chicken full of vibrant festive...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...