Vegetarian mushroom bolognese
- April 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 mins
We’ve given the classic spag bol recipe a veggie makeover in this vegetarian mushroom bolognese. This easy, nourishing and budget-friendly pasta recipe can be on your table in just 30 minutes. Make the recipe vegan by omitting the optional grated cheese.
Discover all of our vegetarian pasta recipes.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 4.8g (1.6g saturated)
- 56.7g (16.8g sugars)
- 1⁄2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 300g baby chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 80g fresh chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves stripped and roughly chopped
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves stripped and roughly chopped
- 500g passata
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 180g spaghetti
- 400g carrots, julienned (see tip)
- 20g vegetarian hard cheese, finely grated (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat and fry the onion for 7-8 minutes until softening, then stir in the mushrooms and chestnuts and cook for 4 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Add the garlic and herbs, cook for another minute, then stir in the
passata and vegetable stock. Season well, then simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions, then drain and add to the sauce along with the carrots.Toss until well coated and the carrots have warmed through, then serve sprinkled with the cheese (if using).
Cut the carrots using a julienne peeler, or cut into strips with a veg peeler.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...