Baked mushrooms with sausage
- January 2008
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 20 minutes in the oven, plus overnight chilling
These baked mushrooms with sausage, bacon and tomatoes can be served for breakfast, lunch or as an appetiser at your next dinner party.
- 27.7g (14.8g saturated)
- 3.6g (1g sugars)
- 6 very large field mushrooms
- 75g butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 1 heaped tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 4 pork and herb sausages, skinned
- 100g smoked bacon lardons
- 1 beef tomato, cut into small dice
- 6 tbsp coarsely grated Cheddar
- The night before, remove the mushroom stalks and chop finely. Clean the caps and place gill-side up in a lightly greased roasting tin. Mix the butter, thyme and some seasoning and spread over each one. Scatter with the stalks.
- Pull the sausagemeat into small pieces and pile onto the mushrooms with the lardons and tomato. Season lightly, cover and chill overnight.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Bake for 15 minutes or until the bacon and sausage are lightly golden and the mushrooms have softened. Remove, sprinkle each mushroom with cheese and bake for a further 5 minutes.
Each mushroom should be 11-12cm across – if you can’t get them this big, serve 2 each.
Vegetarians can use veggie sausages and omit the bacon.
Rate & review