Warm pesto, chickpea and butter bean salad with halloumi
- June 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
A quick 15-minute dinner has never looked so good. This filling salad is made with halloumi, homemade speedy pesto and crispy bacon to leave you feeling satisfied.
- 30.8g (9.9g saturated)
- 38.6g (1.9g sugars)
- 4 rashers streaky bacon
- 150g halloumi, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 50g fresh basil
- 15g parmesan, grated
- Finely grated zest and juice ½ lemon, plus extra lemon zest and wedges to serve
- 70ml olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 x 400g tins butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 100g rocket
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the bacon and halloumi slices for 5-6 minutes, turning halfway, until the bacon is crisp. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the garlic, basil, parmesan, lemon zest and juice, and oil in a mini food processor or pestle and mortar with a twist of black pepper and a pinch of salt, then whizz/pound to a coarse paste.
- Put the chickpeas and butter beans in a saucepan and add the pesto with a splash of water. Stir and heat over a low-medium heat until just warmed through.
- Put a handful of rocket onto each of 4 plates and top with the pesto beans, shards of crisp bacon and the halloumi slices, along with the extra lemon zest and lemon wedges.
Next time: crumble feta over the salad instead of the fried halloumi.
For a vegetarian meal omit the bacon and add 2 tbsp mixed seeds – and swap the parmesan for a vegetarian alternative.
Make the pesto up to 24 hours in advance and keep covered in the fridge, or use a good fresh shop-bought pesto.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Avocado, pomegranate and bean salad with hazelnut dressing
A simple side salad recipe for gatherings of friends or family. The salad, with a...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...