Warm pesto, chickpea and butter bean salad with halloumi
- June 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
A quick 15-minute dinner has never looked so good. This filling salad is made with halloumi, homemade speedy pesto and crispy bacon to leave you feeling satisfied.
- 30.8g (9.9g saturated)
- 38.6g (1.9g sugars)
- 4 rashers streaky bacon
- 150g halloumi, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 50g fresh basil
- 15g parmesan, grated
- Finely grated zest and juice ½ lemon, plus extra lemon zest and wedges to serve
- 70ml olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 x 400g tins butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 100g rocket
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the bacon and halloumi slices for 5-6 minutes, turning halfway, until the bacon is crisp. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the garlic, basil, parmesan, lemon zest and juice, and oil in a mini food processor or pestle and mortar with a twist of black pepper and a pinch of salt, then whizz/pound to a coarse paste.
- Put the chickpeas and butter beans in a saucepan and add the pesto with a splash of water. Stir and heat over a low-medium heat until just warmed through.
- Put a handful of rocket onto each of 4 plates and top with the pesto beans, shards of crisp bacon and the halloumi slices, along with the extra lemon zest and lemon wedges.
Next time: crumble feta over the salad instead of the fried halloumi.
For a vegetarian meal omit the bacon and add 2 tbsp mixed seeds – and swap the parmesan for a vegetarian alternative.
Make the pesto up to 24 hours in advance and keep covered in the fridge, or use a good fresh shop-bought pesto.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Avocado, pomegranate and bean salad with hazelnut dressing
A simple side salad recipe for gatherings of friends or...
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter