Skyr Blueberry & Elderberry breakfast pancakes with blueberry maple syrup
Enjoy a stack of pancakes as a healthy, balanced breakfast with this blueberry and elderflower recipe. They’re made with Skyr yoghurt for an extra boost of protein and an even fluffier texture.
Watch the video and then give them a go with the full recipe, down below.
Serves 2 (makes 4 pancakes). Hands-on time 25 min
Hands-on time 10 mins, cook time 15 mins
For the pancakes
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 150g pot Skyr Blueberry & Elderberry
- 25g butter, melted and cooled
- 50g blueberries
- 100g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Sunflower oil, for cooking
For the blueberry syrup
- 75g blueberries
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Heat the oven to 140C/120C fan/ gas 1. Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks (when you lift out the whisk, the peaks created will fall back on themselves).
- In another mixing bowl, mix the Skyr Blueberry and Elderberry, butter, blueberries, egg yolks, flour and baking powder until combined. Gently fold in one third of the beaten egg whites to loosen the batter, then gently fold in the remaining two thirds to make a thick batter.
- Set a lightly oiled frying pan over a medium heat, spoon 2 tbsp of the batter into the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes, when small bubbles start to appear on the surface, flip the pancake and cook for another minute, then transfer to a plate in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- For the syrup, mix together the 75g blueberries and maple syrup to a small pan with 1 tablespoon water in a small pan, then bring to a boil over a medium heat. Cook for a couple of minutes until the blueberries start to burst and the syrup starts to thicken.
- Divide the pancakes between serving plates, spoon over the syrup, and top with a dollop of your favourite Skyr.