What to do with leftover anchovies
Anchovies may be small, but their flavour is large. Use the leftovers of a tin of the salty yet oily fish in dishes such as pasta and salads.
Recipes using anchovies
- Salted anchovies and heritage tomato salad
- Griddled fennel with anchovies, quail eggs and buckwheat
- Swedish roast leg of lamb with anchovies and potato gratin
- Pasta with anchovies and capers
- Salad of chicken, anchovies, jersey royals, asparagus, dill and chives
How to use up leftover anchovies
- Pasta sauce. Whizz 2 anchovy fillets, fresh parsley, garlic, lemon juice and zest, and a good grating of parmesan in a food processor, then stir through cooked pasta.
- Crostini. Rub freshly toasted sourdough bread with a garlic clove a couple of times, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, then rub a halved tomato into the bread, grating the flesh across the toast. Top with anchovies and cracked black pepper.
- Anchovy hollandaise. Add depth to hollandaise sauce by adding finely chopped anchovies at the end of cooking. Serve with steak and chips.