What to do with leftover anchovies
Anchovies may be small, but their flavour is large. Use the leftovers of a tin of the salty yet oily fish in dishes such as pasta and salads.
Recipes using anchovies
- Salted anchovies and heritage tomato salad
- Griddled fennel with anchovies, quail eggs and buckwheat
- Swedish roast leg of lamb with anchovies and potato gratin
- Pasta with anchovies and capers
- Salad of chicken, anchovies, jersey royals, asparagus, dill and chives
How to use up leftover anchovies
- Pasta sauce. Whizz 2 anchovy fillets, fresh parsley, garlic, lemon juice and zest, and a good grating of parmesan in a food processor, then stir through cooked pasta.
- Crostini. Rub freshly toasted sourdough bread with a garlic clove a couple of times, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, then rub a halved tomato into the bread, grating the flesh across the toast. Top with anchovies and cracked black pepper.
- Anchovy hollandaise. Add depth to hollandaise sauce by adding finely chopped anchovies at the end of cooking. Serve with steak and chips.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine this month for a half price subscriptionSubscribe