Chicken, anchovy and jersey royal salad
- May 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 45 min
Gill Meller’s chicken salad recipe is full of the joys of spring with asparagus, and Jersey royals. The best bit – the addition of shredded crispy chicken skin. Salads don’t come better than this.
- 17.9g (3.4g saturated)
- 31g (4.3g sugars)
- 4 British skin-on free-range chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 slices lemon
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Large pinch chilli flakes
- 750g jersey royal potatoes, scrubbed, cut into bite-size chunks
- 12 asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 3cm pieces
- 12 anchovy fillets in oil, roughly chopped
- Small bunch fresh chives, chopped
- Small bunch fresh dill, chopped
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the chicken thighs, skin-side up, in a small roasting tin and drizzle over the olive oil. Tuck the lemon slices under the chicken pieces along with the red onion, then scatter over the thyme and chilli flakes. Season well with salt and pepper and roast for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes in a pan of salted water until just tender. Add the trimmed asparagus to the pan and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Drain and leave to cool a little.
- Using 2 forks, shred the chicken from the bones in large pieces. I shred the crispy skin and add it to the salad as well. In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, skin and all the roasting juices (including the onions) with the potatoes, asparagus, anchovies, chives and dill.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the dressing, then drizzle over the salad. Spoon the salad into a large container for taking on a picnic.
The anchovies give the salad a savoury taste, but you can use fewer if you like.
Roast the chicken and make the dressing a few hours in advance.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken thigh recipes
Chicken in an almond sauce with a sweet date salsa
Chicken braised in almond milk and served with a sweet salsa makes for an Italian...