These sweet glazed vegetables are a notable accompaniment to a Christmas lunch. Even better, they can be frozen in advance.
- 400g chantenay carrots, cut
- into batons
- 400g parsnips, cut into batons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Small handful fresh thyme leaves
- Grated zest and juice of ½ orange
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the carrots and parsnips in a large roasting tin, drizzle with the oil, salt and pepper and most of the thyme, and roast for 30 minutes.
- 2. Drizzle over the orange juice and zest and maple syrup, and roast for 10 minutes until caramelised. Scatter with thyme before serving.
Per serving:96kcals, 3.5g fat (0.5g saturated), 1.2g protein, 15.8g carbs, 11.1g sugar, trace salt
To freeze: Parboil the prepared carrots and parsnips in boiling water for 4-5 minutes, drain, then place in a single layer on a bking sheet until cool. Open-freeze until solid, then transfer to freezer bags. When you want to eat them, put the frozen veg in a roasting tin with a drizzle of oil and roast for 15 minutes, then add the glaze.