- 1 onion, quartered
- 18 cloves
- 568ml full-fat milk
- 2 fresh bay leaves, plus 1, to garnish
- 8 black peppercorns
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 25g butter
- 4 tbsp double cream
- Stud the onion with the cloves and put in a pan with the milk, bay leaves and peppercorns. Bring to the boil, then set aside for 2 hours, to infuse.
- Bring the milk back to the boil and strain into a clean pan, discarding the solids. Stir in the breadcrumbs and the butter and set aside the pan for 15 minutes, to thicken.
- To serve, reheat the bread sauce on the hob, stir in the double cream and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Garnish with a bay leaf.
- To freeze: Spoon into freezer bags, and freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost at room temperature. If it is too thick, just add a little milk.