Bread sauce with cream
- January 2009
- Serves 6
- Takes 30 minutes to make, plus 2 hours infusing
An easy bread sauce recipe made with fresh white breadcrumbs, double cream and nutmeg.
- 14.2g (8.8g saturated)
- 17.6g (4.7g sugars)
- 1 red onion, halved
- 18 cloves
- 568ml carton full-cream milk
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 fresh bay leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 25g butter, plus extra to serve
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp double cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Stud the onion with the cloves and put in a pan with the milk, peppercorns and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, then set aside to infuse for 2 hours.
- Bring the milk back to the boil, then strain through a sieve into a clean pan. Stir in the butter and breadcrumbs. Cool. Spoon into a tough freezer bag and freeze for up to 1 month.
- To serve, defrost overnight, then reheat gently. Stir in the cream and season with pepper. Add a grating of nutmeg, a knob of butter and some fresh bay leaves to serve.
Rate & review