50g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
125g caster sugar
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
150g fresh white breadcrumbs
4 large eggs, separated, plus 1
Extra egg white
4 tbsp raspberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/ gas 4. Butter a 1-litre ovenproof dish or 4 x 300ml individual dishes.
2. Bring the softened butter, 25g of the sugar, the lemon zest, milk and a pinch of salt to a gentle simmer in a pan. Add the breadcrumbs and set aside, stirring often, until thickened.
3. Stir the egg yolks into the mixture and spoon into the prepared dish/dishes. Bake for about 15 minutes or until just set.
4. Heat the jam in a small pan until runny, then carefully spread over the top of the pudding/s – being careful not to break the surface.
5. Whisk the egg whites and remaining sugar for about 4 minutes in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water until the sugar has dissolved (check by rubbing a little between your fingers; if it’s still grainy beat for a bit longer) and the whites have formed soft peaks. Spoon over the top of the pudding and swirl the top to form peaks. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the meringue has set and is lightly browned and crisp. Serve immediately.