- 225g butter, softened plus extra for greasing
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 6 tbsp Bonne Maman Rhubarb Compote, or similar
- 225g ground almonds
- 2 large dessert apples
- 50g light muscovado sugar
- 75ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm square loose-bottomed cake tin. Cream together 175g butter and the golden caster sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and fold in the flour, rhubarb compote and ground almonds. Spoon into the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Peel, core and slice the apples and arrange the slices, overlapping slightly, in rows across the top of the cake. Press into the mixture slightly. Bake for 1 hour 10-15 minutes or until risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Place the remaining butter, the light muscovado sugar and double cream into a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and stir continuously, for 1-2 minutes until it forms a thick and glossy sauce.
- Turn out the cake, discard the paper and place on a wire rack set over a tray. Drizzle with three-quarters of the toffee sauce. Serve with cream and the remaining sauce.