Ultimate toffee apples
- October 2017
- Makes 8
- Hands on time 50 min, plus cooling
These ultimate toffee apples are the perfect Halloween or Bonfire Night treat. Simple, but effective, they’re perfect for children and adults alike.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 500g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- Red gel food colouring
- Edible glitter (gold or silver)
- 8 medium apples
You’ll also need…
- 8 thick wooden sticks or clean twigs
- Baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper
- Put the sugar, vinegar, butter, syrup and 150ml cold water in a pan over low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved, then turn up the heat to medium and boil until the mixture turns a deep golden colour (or until a sugar thermometer or digital probe reaches 140°C).
- Using a fork, quickly swirl in some of the red gel food colouring and edible glitter. Insert a stick into the middle of each apple, then dip into the toffee, turning several times to coat fully, then sit on the tray lined with baking paper to set for around 30 minutes. These will keep for a couple of days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...