Tofu larb salad
- July 2018
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 30 min
This recipe from Saiphin Moore’s cookbook, Rosa’s Thai Café, is vibrant and fiery vegetarian fare that’s ready in just half an hour.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 18.4g (2g saturated)
- 43.7g (9.9g sugars)
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 200g firm tofu, cut into 2cm cubes
- 50g dried rice vermicelli, soaked and drained
- 50g textured vegetable protein mince (meat-free mince)
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped spring onion
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Handful fresh mint leaves
- ½ tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp ground toasted rice (see Saiphin’s tip)
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- Fill a wok or large, heavy-based saucepan one third full with vegetable oil and set over a medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough to brown a cube of bread in 40 seconds, carefully lower in the tofu and deep-fry for about 5 minutes until golden brown (see Food Team’s tip). Remove the tofu with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Bring 1 litre water to the boil in a large pan. Add the rice vermicelli, cook for 30 seconds, then drain.
- Put the noodles in a mixing bowl with the textured vegetable protein mince and deep-fried tofu. Mix in the red onion, spring onion, fresh coriander, dill and mint.
- Add the sugar, toasted rice, chilli flakes, lime juice and soy sauce. Mix thoroughly and serve immediately.
Buy ground toasted rice in Asian supermarkets, or make your own: toast 2 tbsp uncooked jasmine or basmati rice in a dry frying pan over a gentle heat for 3-4 minutes until it turns golden brown. Keep moving the rice around so it doesn’t burn. Leave to cool slightly, then whizz to crumbs in a food processor. Stored in an airtight container, it will keep for 4-6 weeks
For an extra kick, toss the tofu in a little chilli powder before frying (step 1)
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...