American corn fritters with bacon and roasted tomatoes
- April 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make and 20 minutes to cook
Rick Stein discovered the totally sinful practice of pouring maple syrup over hot bacon and fritters and decided he just had to share it with us. We don’t mind, do we.
- 42.7g fat (11.4g saturated)
- 55.2g (19g sugars)
- 4 sprigs vine-ripened cherry tomatoes, or a 250g punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 thin slices pancetta, bacon or speck, rind removed
- Maple syrup, to serve
For the corn fritters
- 1½ tbsp polenta
- 100g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- Large pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 100ml milk
- 2 x 125g cans sweetcorn, drained
- ½ red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions (white part only), trimmed and finely chopped
- 20g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. On a baking tray, drizzle the tomatoes with the olive oil and season. Put the pancetta or bacon in another baking tray, then put both trays in the oven. Roast for 10-12 minutes, turning the pancetta halfway.
- To make the fritters, sift the polenta, flour, baking powder and cayenne pepper into a bowl and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Beat the egg with the milk, then stir into the dry ingredients with the sweetcorn, red pepper, onions and butter.
- Half-fill a deep fat fryer or large, heavy-based pan with sunflower oil and heat to 190°C, or until a cube of bread turns golden in 30 seconds.
- Using 1 heaped tbsp batter for each fritter, drop 4 fritters into the oil at a time and cook for 2-3 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Keep warm while you cook the rest. Divide the fritters, tomatoes and bacon between plates, drizzle with maple syrup and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Smoky sweetcorn fritters with tarragon yogurt
Smoky sweetcorn fritters are vegetarian food done right – served warm from the pan with...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...