Aromatic lamb casserole with prunes
- December 2019
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 1.5 hours
A casserole that’s also a pizza? Yes, you read that right. You can adjust this lamb casserole recipe to create a Turkish-style pizza topping – see the tip below the method.
If you love the combination of lamb with prunes, then take a look at our Kashmiri lamb meatballs with prunes, too.
- 31.7g (10g saturated)
- 83.6g (16.9g sugars)
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 600g British lamb neck, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 onions, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, crushed in a pestle and mortar
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 600ml chicken stock
- 100g soft dried prunes, roughly chopped
- 2-3 tbsp pomegranate molasses to taste
- Bunch coriander, chopped
- 60g shelled unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Steamed couscous to serve
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. Heat the oil in a heavy-based casserole (with a lid) set over a medium heat. Working in 3 batches, add the lamb and brown all over, then remove from the casserole and set aside on a plate.
- Add the onions to the casserole and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring, until lightly browned. Add the garlic, cumin seeds and allspice, then cook for another minute. Return the lamb and any resting juices to the casserole, then add the stock. Season, bring to the boil, then add the prunes. Cover with the lid, then transfer to the oven and cook for 1½ hours or until the meat is tender.
- Add the pomegranate molasses, season, then sprinkle with coriander and pistachios and serve with couscous.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Lamb shank recipes
Moroccan spiced lamb shanks with preserved lemon and prunes
This spicy Moroccan lamb main course has all the flavours...
Apricot stuffed lamb shoulder with rosemary roast potatoes
Whether you want to cook a weekend roast with a...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter