Apricot stuffed lamb shoulder with rosemary roast potatoes
- March 2007
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 1 hour 10 minutes in the oven, plus resting
Whether you want to cook a weekend roast with a difference or you’re looking for the perfect roast lamb on Easter Sunday, this apricot-stuffed lamb with sticky roast potatoes is a winner.
Or, try this French-style roast lamb recipe with garlicky boulangère potatoes.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 25.5g (8.5g saturated)
- 45.4g (9.7g sugar)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- About 900g boned shoulder of lamb (roughly 1.2kg bone-in)
- 900g white potatoes, halved or quartered
- Leaves from 1 sprig fresh rosemary, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 450ml fresh beef stock, hot
For the apricot stuffing
- 125g dried ready-to-eat apricots, chopped
- 75g fresh white breadcrumbs
- Leaves from 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put 2 tablespoons oil in a large roasting tin and pop in the oven to heat up. Mix the stuffing ingredients together in a bowl and season well with salt and pepper.
- Season the lamb and lay boned-out side up on a board. Spread with the stuffing, leaving a small border all around. Roll up the lamb and tie up with kitchen string to secure.
- Add the potatoes to the hot roasting tin, toss in the oil then nestle the lamb between them. Rub the lamb with the remaining oil. Roast for 1 hour, turning the potatoes after 45 minutes.
- Scatter the rosemary over the potatoes and roast for a further 10 minutes, until golden and the lamb is still pink. Lift the lamb and potatoes onto plates, cover and set aside.
- Make a gravy. Tip off most of the fat from the roasting tin. Put on the hob over a high heat, add the flour and stir for 30 seconds. Gradually stir in the stock, then boil for 3-4 minutes, until thickened. Season.
- Carve the lamb. Divide between plates with the potatoes. Serve with the gravy and seasonal vegetables, garnished with rosemary, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Goat's cheese recipes
Lamb shoulder stuffed with tomatoes, goat’s cheese and basil
Stuffed lamb shoulder is great for dinner parties and entertaining – full of summery ingredients...
Roast lamb leg recipes
Salted rosemary roast lamb with fennel and garlic boulangère potatoes
This French-style roast lamb served with fennel and garlicky potatoes is a laid-back family feast...
Satisfyingly slow roasts
Six hour slow roasted lamb shoulder with charred red peppers and rosemary gravy
Simmone Logue’s incredibly tender slow-roasted lamb shoulder recipe is perfect for a Sunday lunch or...