Lighter aubergine parmigiana
- June 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 30 min
We’ve kept all the gorgeous summery flavours of a traditional aubergine parmigiana but recreated the Italian classic as a low-calorie midweek meal.
Looking for something heartier? Try Gennaro Contaldo’s baked aubergine rolls.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 20.7g (7.5g saturated)
- 6.6g (15.4g sugars)
- 4 aubergines, thinly sliced lengthways
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 x 350g pots Waitrose Cherry Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce
- 125g ball mozzarella, torn
- Large bunch fresh basil
- 25g grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- Heat the oven to 220°C/ 200°C fan/gas 7. In a large bowl, toss the aubergine slices with 2 tbsp oil, and salt and pepper. Put the aubergines in a single layer on 2 non-stick baking sheets, then roast for 10-12 minutes until softened and a little coloured.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes, then take off the heat.
- Turn down the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/gas 6. Layer half the aubergines in a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish. Pour over a pot of the pasta sauce, dot the mozzarella evenly on top, then scatter over all the onion mixture and the leaves of half the basil. Top with the rest of the aubergines, the other pot of pasta sauce, then the parmesan or alternative.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then put under a hot grill for 2-3 minutes until golden and bubbling. Garnish with the remaining basil leaves and serve with a crisp green salad.
Freeze unbaked, wrapped in baking paper, then 2 layers of cling film, for up to 2 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge, then cook as in the recipe
Rate & review