Baked mushrooms with polenta and cheese sauce
- February 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make and 20 minutes to cook
A fabulously simple vegetarian dish that, at less than £1.50 a head, is cheap as chips to make.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 43.8g (20.7g saturated)
- 50.1g (3.1g sugars)
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 250g instant polenta
- 50g butter
- 25g grated vegetarian Parmesan
- 8 portobello mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 150ml white wine
- 150g garlic and herb soft cheese
- 2 tbsp milk
- Bring the vegetable stock to the boil in a pan. Tip in instant polenta and simmer gently, stirring, until thick and creamy. Remove from the heat and stir in butter and Parmesan. Cover and set aside.
- Preheat the grill, then place the portobello mushrooms on a baking sheet, rounded side up, drizzle with olive oil and grill for 5 minutes. Turn over and grill for a further minute.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over a low heat and cook shallots, and 2 garlic cloves. Add white wine and simmer rapidly until reduced by half. Add soft cheese and melt to form a creamy sauce. Thin the sauce with milk.
- Spoon the polenta into shallow bowls and top each with 2 mushrooms, then spoon over the sauce.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roasted cauliflower and broccoli polenta
Creamy polenta and nutty roasted cauliflower make for a midweek meal that dreams are made...
Polenta with mushroom and artichoke
Looking for a comforting vegetarian dish? This polenta recipe is it! Creamy polenta, fragrant garlic...