Barbecued chicken with yogurt, lime, coriander and almonds
- July 2011
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 40-45 minutes to cook, plus marinating and resting
Bring the chicken up to room temperature before barbecuing, load up the barbie with the marinated chicken and then serve with lime juice, torn basil and spring onions.
Step away from the soggy coleslaw! Here’s 12 side dishes to up your bbq game.
- 4.8g (0.9g saturated)
- 3.1g (2.2g sugars)
- no fibre
- 8 free-range chicken thighs
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, roughly torn, or small whole leaves
- 1 bunch of spring onions, sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
For the marinade
- 8 tbsp natural yogurt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed to a paste
- 5cm piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Season the chicken pieces well with salt and pepper, then add them to the marinade and toss to combine, making sure they are all well coated. Cover and chill for up to 12 hours before cooking.
- Cook the chicken over a gentle but steady heat on the barbecue for 40-45 minutes until golden, tender and cooked through. Turn the pieces regularly while cooking and spoon over any remaining marinade as you do so. Note: if the temperature is too ferocious, not only will the chicken burn while still being raw in the middle, but it will also lose the delicate flavours of the marinade.
- In any case, chicken thighs, unlike breasts, respond more favourably to a slower cooking method that renders the meat tender rather than leaving it tough and stringy.
- Allow the chicken pieces to rest on a warm platter for 5-10 minutes, then sprinkle over some torn basil leaves and the sliced spring onions. Squeeze over the lime juice just before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Italian chicken recipes
Roast chicken thighs stuffed with gorgonzola piccante, chilli and herbs
Trade in your Sunday roast for these Italian-inspired gorgonzola stuffed...
October seasonal recipes
Diana Henry’s Mexican chicken and pumpkin with pepita pesto
Diana Henry’s Mexican chicken recipe is marinated with fresh thyme,...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter